Nov 15, 2007

ACER Aspire 4520 tried to kill me......(1)

My supervisor wanted to buy a new laptop since her old one cracked at the screen flip. She asked my suggestion about which laptop that suit her need and her budget. So, based on those, I tried to make a list consisted of some laptops. Without telling me anything, she tried to find by herself too.

After one day passed by, we met again and after struggling in deciding her chosen one, we met an agreement that she should buy Acer Aspire 4520 without an Operating System on it since she will use Linux onto it. By this time….we just started to socialize Edubuntu here.

This laptop important specifications were

Processor : AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58 ( 1.9GHz, 1MB L2 cache )
Chipset : NVIDIA nForce 610M ( MCP67-MV )
RAM : 1GB DDR2 667MHz
Graphic : NVIDIA GeForce 7000M
Wireless : Atheros 5007EG
LAN : GigaByte
Sound : Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard Drive : 80GB
Additional : Card Reader, WebCam, DVD-Super Multi, Bluetooth

She called the store and agreed about the price and everything, including ship it to our place ( nowhere of sugarcane fields ). We just have to wait for about three working days and the package came. Later, this package became a great nightmare of mine…..!!!!

I started to work on this 4520, I formatted first and make new partition tables on the disk. After that, I tried to install a Linux distro which was Edubuntu-7.04 on it. Amazingly…….stucked at the beginning. I assumed that maybe this variant was too old to be installed in this new laptop. Then I switch to install thi laptop with Microsoft Operating System. I tried XP first, It worked okay until I found out that there was no driver at all. The provider included an installation DVD in the package, but…it’s for Vista ( huaaaa…..i am in misery now )

I tried to find a vista cd ( trial version ) everything was fine and all drivers worked. But the owner of this laptop complained that she would not buy a Vista….she will use Linux on it or at least XP on it. Damned……..I installed XP once again to this laptop. Then jump to the Internet to find a solution about my problem.

Finally, I found a way out………after couple of days; XP graphic driver was taken from http://komku.blogspot.com/......
and the rest of drivers taken from http://www.acer.com.cn/......

My ass is temporarily safe now, at least she can work with her new laptop even in XP environment. Since this day, she kept asking about installing Linux onto her laptop. And since this day…i started my long journey to solve this.

Next Mission : Pump a Linux into Acer Aspire 4520

~E~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brother I got a Aspire 4520 yesterday with Linpus(sic!) Linux on it. i have successfully loaded all drivers except Realtek sound card driver Help me please The error is Realtek audio drivaer installation failed!

Chetan said...

even i have the same problem.. rest all the drivers are installed properly.....

Please keep updated if you have any qwuestions